Comtech Telecommunications Corp. (NASDAQ:CMTL) reported earnings for the three months ended April 2016 on June 08, 2016. The company earned $-0.89 per share on revenue of $124.19M. Analysts had been modeling earning per share of $-1.66 with $128.9M in revenue.
Comtech Telecommunications Corp. (NASDAQ:CMTL) reported its operating results for the three and nine months ended April 30, 2016. Net sales for the three months ended April 30, 2016 were $124.2 million compared to $71.6 million for the three months ended April 30, 2015. Net sales for the nine months ended April 30, 2016 were $258.6 million compared to $229.8 million for the nine months ended April 30, 2015. The increase in net sales for both periods reflects incremental sales of approximately $66.0 million as a result of the acquisition of TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (“TCS,”) partially offset by lower sales of legacy Comtech products. As previously announced, the TCS acquisition closed on February 23, 2016. The Company achieved bookings of approximately $139.2 million during the third quarter of fiscal 2016 which translates into a quarterly book-to-bill ratio (a measure of quarterly bookings divided by quarterly net sales) of 1.12 compared with an average book-to-bill ratio of 0.81 for the prior two quarters.
Operating net loss was $13.4 million and $8.0 million for the three and nine months ended April 30, 2016, respectively as compared to operating income of $7.2 million and $26.0 million for the three and nine months ended April 30, 2015, respectively. During the three and nine months ended April 30, 2016, we expensed $17.0 million and $20.7 million, respectively, of pre-tax acquisition plan expenses, almost all of which relates to the Company’s acquisition of TCS. Excluding these expenses, we would have reported operating income for the three and nine months ended April 30, 2016 of $3.6 million and $12.7 million, respectively.
GAAP net loss was $14.4 million, or $(0.89) per diluted share, for the three months ended April 30, 2016 as compared to GAAP net income of $5.0 million, or $0.30 per diluted share, for the three months ended April 30, 2015. GAAP net loss was $10.4 million, or $(0.65) per diluted share, for the nine months ended April 30, 2016 as compared to GAAP net income of $17.8 million, or $1.08 per diluted share, for the nine months ended April 30, 2015.
Selected Fiscal 2016 Third Quarter Financial Metrics and Other Items
- The Company notes that its fiscal 2016 updated financial guidance reflects only five full months of TCS operations as a result of the closing of the TCS acquisition on February 23, 2016. Comtech’s fourth fiscal quarter will reflect a full three months of combined operations.
- As of April 30, 2016, the Company had $69.1 million of cash and cash equivalents before payment of its quarterly dividend of $4.9 million on May 20, 2016. However, after payment of the May 20, 2016 dividend and other remaining transaction and merger related expenditures, the Company now has approximately $50.0 million of cash and cash equivalents.
- The Company’s effective tax rate for fiscal 2016 will be impacted by various items including the non-deductibility of transaction related expenses incurred in connection with the TCS acquisition. Looking forward, the Company currently expects that its fiscal 2017 effective tax rate, excluding discrete items will approximate 37.5%.
- The Company’s interest expense for the third quarter reflects, and going forward will continue to reflect the cost of borrowing in part for the TCS acquisition and the discharge of TCS’s debt. As of April 30, 2016, total debt outstanding, net of $6.2 million of deferred financing costs and including capital lease obligations, was $351.2 million, of which $17.8 million was current. The blended interest expense rate during the fourth quarter of fiscal 2016 is expected to approximate 5.0% (including amortization of deferred financing charges). Looking forward to fiscal 2017, the Company currently expects that the blended interest rate on its total debt will approximate 5.0%.
- The Company has completed a preliminary analysis and assessment of the fair values of the TCS assets acquired and liabilities assumed. Based on this preliminary analysis, $280.9 million was allocated to intangibles with definite lives and $127.1 million was allocated to goodwill. Total amortization of intangibles during the fourth quarter of fiscal 2016 (including amortization associated with the TCS assets acquired) is expected to approximate $6.0 million. Based on this preliminary analysis, total annual amortization of intangibles with definite lives in fiscal 2017, based on this preliminary analysis and assessment, is expected to approximate $22.8 million.
- Backlog as of April 30, 2016 was $433.6 million compared to $92.6 million as of January 31, 2016. Backlog as of April 30, 2016 includes the acquired backlog of TCS. Total bookings for the three and nine months ended April 30, 2016 were $139.2 million and $248.5 million compared to $72.2 million and $226.4 million for the three and nine months ended April 30, 2015.
Comtech Telecommunications Corp. earnings per share showed an increasing trend of 3.7% for the current fiscal year. The company’s expected EPS growth rate for next fiscal year is 49%.Analysts project EPS growth over the next 5 years at 17%. It has EPS annual decline over the past 5 fiscal years of -5.8% when sales declined -17. It reported 73.5% sales growth, and -392.8% EPS decline in the last quarter.
The stock is trading at $13.53, up -0.37% from 52-week low of $13.49. The stock trades down -53.95% from its peak of $30.93 and % below the consensus price target of $23.7. Its volume clocked up at 0.89 million shares which is higher than the average volume of 0.26 million shares. Its market capitalization currently stands at $219.93M.